31.1.07

Thursday Thirteen - Comfort Foods


02/01/07 Thirteen Things about Marcia - Comfort Foods

Why settle for one comfort food, when many will do!

1. Winter comfort food: hot tea with 1/2 teaspoon sugar and tons of lemon - no fake stuff allowed - and croissant or barely sweet coffee cake

2. Summer comfort food: Ice tea with tons of lemon - no fake stuff allowed and an Outback baked potato, served with butter, but any butter not melted removed immediately once it hits the table (Home made baked potatoes a close second!)

3. Florida comfort meal growing up: homemade potato salad, sliced tomatoes, hard boiled egg, celery, baked beans, ham, bread and butter, iced tea, more sugar back then, but still tons of lemon! (Three glasses when a teenager)

4. Florida comfort snack as a child and young(er) adult: Pepsi and Lance's peanut butter crackers (the ones with the orange crackers)

5. Florida comfort holiday meal (as a child - none) as an adult: turkey, Honey baked ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli and cauliflower and carrots and parsnips and green beans, gravy (as long as I didn't attempt to make it), Velveeta cheese sauce, croissants, apple pie or pumpkin pie, and. . .feel free to chime in here. . . iced tea with tons of lemon)

6. Holiday (or any excuse day) comfort breakfast: Granny Smith apples (plain) steamed in microwave or pan, pan fried potatoes with green pepper and onion and salt and lots of pepper, eggs anyway they come out as long as not runny (before: add biscuits and Strawberry Jelly and bacon - crisp, bacon and orange juice or grapefruit juice)

7. Comfort food after the flu: baked potato with salt and pepper and toast with tiny bit of butter

8. Show-me-you-love-me comfort food late at night by sharing with me: The biggest two mouthfuls I can balance on a spoon of my husband's Cheerios, with milk and banana.

9. I'm-late-for-whatever-need-food-now-but-need-to-be-comforted, too: Burger King hamburger, no microwave, with mustard and onion only and pepsi (I know it makes no sense, but I craved them occasionally )

10. I-need-food-that-sticks-to-comfort-me-lunch-during-stress: thick sliced bread as grilled cheese with huge steak fries and mustard and ketchup and Pepsi (but now I forgo the Pepsi)

11. Comfort desert as a child: Mom's lemon meringue pie, no gelatin allowed!

12. Comfort desert as an adult: apple pie (barely sweet) and cheddar cheese

13. Anytime comfort food: whatever he lets me take from HIS plate after I have greedily eaten mine, especially french fries or potato chips! (Well, if he weren't such a slow eater there would be nothing left for me to beg for!)




Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm....
It all sounds good. I completely get the Florida snack, those peanut butter things = amazing food. Anytime.

Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

I get the feeling you like tea. lol And I thought I was the only person who liked a baked potato after being sick. And #2 sounds like many meals we had. I'm hungry now.

My TT is up on why I want it to snow.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Seesh now I'm craving an Ice Tea and grilled cheese. Happy Thursday!

Anonymous said...

I am all about comfort foods. Great list! And some great ideas too.

Jeannine said...

You made me hungry now! And my cupboards are empty... :-(

Christie O. said...

yum!!! love #10!!! thanks for stopping by, great list!!!!

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Great list. All of those foods so very good. I haven't had apple pie with cheddar cheese in years. Those Lance's crackers are really good. My major comfort food is McDonald's fries. Always makes me feel better when I'm sad or sick. Have a wonderful Thursday:)

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Yummy, now I'm hungry! Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

Another Apple Pie/w cheese lover! Everyone around me looks at me like I am nuts. I have to agree with number 6 as well. Thanks for stopping by!

Katili said...

Hehe I like the last one, that's how I am "It's not MY fault you didn't eat it before I decided I was still hungry!"

Jill said...

Potatoes, apple, iced tea and lemons!! I think that's all you need for your craving!!
My tt are up!!