23.2.07

A stolen moment shared with nature, Photos





Leon and I had another stolen moment, an unusual schedule allowed him to be home really early yesterday!!! We went to a beautiful local park and walked. A perfect winter day: 50 degrees, bright sunshine, fluffy clouds, birds singing. There were families at the playground at one end of the lake, both playing on the slides and having fast food picnics under the shelter overlooking the lake. Businesses and train tracks in view along one end and side of the lake hide the lower foothills of the Cascades. The opposite end has basketball courts and soccer fields, with a large hill in the distance. An asphalt path runs between the lake and pasture where a few cows wander around.

The lake has more ducks than I have ever seen. As dinner time approached we were treated to a team of ducks flying from the lake to the pasture and back. I felt like I was watching science fiction -- the sun would reflect from their bodies and then as they turned together, they blended in with the trees in the distance so well -- they vanished, but we KNEW they were there. I had never seen that either and was so mesmerized I forgot that our camera would take small movie clips!

Did you know that flying they are called a team, and in the water, a paddling, but if just in reference, a raft? Hmmm - So, ducks just moseying along the bank take off to become a team and then land in the water and become a paddling. I had no idea. . .

To see a list of other cool facts about bird group names, click here!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sky is absolutely gorgeous and the clouds are quite perfectly puffy in these shots. Terrific!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog. We live relatively close, I have lived here all my life, but what I have taken for granted, you "see" it in words, makes me look at in other ways entirely! Thank you for posting and pictures!

MaR said...

Beautiful shots!
off to check out that link...

Shelby said...

the photos are simply beautiful :)

Amazing Gracie said...

Wonderful photos and I really enjoy the bird info.
Thanks!

Puss-in-Boots said...

Hi Marcia, thank you for visiting my blog. I love your photos - very reminiscent of where I used to live when I was young.

Have a great week!

Claire said...

They are great photos, that make you not mind this time of year!
My dad is mad birder, so will have to see if he knows all the correct terms.

Martie said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment....new friends are always welcome and please stop in again.

I love your pictures and am longing for weather like that to arrive here.....sooner rather than later, I hope!!!

spaghettipie said...

Hi Marcia - Speaking of "stolen moments", I enjoyed reading your comment on LL's blog regarding Smallness of Scale. It prompted my latest blog. I will enjoy perusing your blog in the near future.

Paula said...

Beautiful photos! I love nature. Your photos are so peaceful.
I have enjoyed reading your poetry also.

Barb said...

Beautiful photos!!!

Liz Hinds said...

Wow! the day before yesterday I saw six magpies in a tree. I wondered to myself (and the dog) what a gang of magpies was called. Now I find it's a tidings. Weird. Is that serendipity?

Lovely photos, especially the birds in flight.

Oh, my word, that verification is impossible!